Sunday, October 2, 2011

Log #7

Before this week, I had never even heard of the film 2001: A Space Odyssey, even though it is  one of the more popular science fiction movies ever made.  References to 2001 can be found in a number of works, including “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory” and “Deep Space Homer,” both of which we watched clips of in class. 

The computer system, HAL 9000, was actually a very central character in the film.  Towards the end, HAL stops taking orders from the astronauts aboard and becomes rebellious.  One of the astronauts is able to disconnect him before extreme damage is caused, but the astronauts that were supposedly in hibernation all died because HAL stops keeping their life functions stable.


Overall, I found the movie a bit hard to follow.  Watching 2001, I often found myself confused as to what was going on.  I felt this was partly due to the transitions between completely different scenes, such as in the beginning when the scene switches from the gorilla-like animals using tools to a spaceship orbiting a planet.  Though I did not understand the movie or its main premise on first viewing, I feel I would gain a greater appreciation for the film if I viewed it a second time.

No comments:

Post a Comment