This week was my first week of school at Groves, and I am extremely glad I chose to take Science Fiction. I originally was going to take Honors Lit Humanities, but they had to cancel the class because too few people signed up. I am very happy that I chose science fiction as my alternate because I think it fits my interests much better than HLH would have. I have always loved watching SciFi movies, and my all-time favorite movie series is the Back to the Future trilogy, which I have seen multiple times.
This week, we started watching “The Day the Earth Stood Still” (1951). I think the movie shows a perspective of aliens from other planets that most people do not typically imagine when they think of extraterrestrial life. The movie portrays the “alien” as a normal-looking, extremely intelligent human being, as opposed to the ugly, abnormal, uncivilized creatures often imagined and portrayed in many media forms. Klaatu, the space-man, has come to Earth as part of a mission to warn the people of Earth that they must live peacefully or be destroyed because they are a danger to other planets. The movie also highlights the naivety of our society when Klaatu asks to meet with all the world leaders and Professor Barnhardt tells him that it is impossible because of tensions between nations. The fear that rises from the arrival and escape of the space-man reflects the cold-war paranoia of the time and emphasizes the ridiculousness of tensions between countries. Overall, I really like the movie so far and I’m looking forward to seeing how it ends!
No comments:
Post a Comment